My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Long Time No See/ A New Adventure

Bruneau Sand Dune State Park
Today I want on my first "official" training ride with Chardoney. I want to take her to this ride the first week in August in the Owyhee Mountains. It's called the City Of Rocks Pioneer Ride. We'll be doing a 25 mile LD or two.

My partners for this adventure will be Katrina and Tawshi; and Mo and Mo. Yes, Char on Char and Mo on Mo!

Chardoney has shown me that she loves to be out on the trail. She goes out forward on a loose rein. She's not spooky at all, just a little green and unsure which will resolve itself over time. She has already come so far!

Today we rode down the canal bank with Katy and Tawshi. Both horses are used to being followers rather than leaders. I have gotten so used to not having to use a crop out on the trail that I didn't even think to bring one. Big mistake! Without a confident leader, BOTH horses had sticky feet. I am sure this will be something we will overcome. When I first took Chardoney out on the trail even in a group of confident horses she did the same thing. She got over it in a few rides.

We had some nice trotting on the way home (key word home!). Then we decided to do some trot sets around the hay field where both horses felt confident. We rode a little over 3 miles all together.

I am looking forward to this new adventure!

No comments: