My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Monday, June 16, 2008

A Guest Blogger Writes About His Horse....




I usually don't write on the blog. In fact I never have. But I am really missing my horse
today. As I am writing this, tears are coming.

I can't say much, but he was my friend. We taught each other about pretty much everything. Becoming close to a horse, or even any animal, will teach you much about life and about yourself. If you truly become close to a horse, you life will never be the same. Honest. I never had a horse before, or any other kind of animal. When we brought him home, I was wondering what in the world we were doing. We was supposed to be Char's horse. But he and I hit it off. We were the same personalities. Peas in a pod. One of kind. Buds.

We brouht him home when he was 2 years old. Char wouldn't let me sit on him till he was 3. And thereafter we could only walk, but that was fine with me. I never sat on horse before, all fit and wide. He had a real slow stride from side to side. So I learned to sit on his back, without falling off. I learned to move my hips with his. Move as he does. The horse and you become one in a sense.

A few months later I started to trot. That was a very different experience. We learned together, both of us. When this happens, your horse and you connect in ways that just creep on you without notice. Now, here I am crying over my horse.

Finally I got to lope on him. That was rush, not only for me, but for him too. He didn't like to lope much, unless it was his idea. But this was an area that Ted and I disagreed much on. But when we got our heads together, it was great.

We went on a few trail rides together. We did a few play days together. We did a clinic together. I got bucked off him a few times. I got bucked off him once at a play day. I was riding out in the arena, getting warmed up. He was just feeling good and gave a happy buck. At that time I was still learning to ride. I couldn't stay on. I came off him right in front of God and everybody. I rode him bareback and fell off a few. We did stuff together. We learned together.

I will miss my great friend Ted. He is a good place now. Through the high prices of hay and other circumstances, I decided to sell him. Hopefully I will be riding Star next year. But I will alway remember Ted. I will always have fond memories of him. Don't joke about me or my horse. Those are fight'n words. If you do, you just don't understand, and probably never will.

1 comment:

DeEtte Gorrie said...

Who could ever joke about you and your horse, Tom? There's not many men (in my neck of the woods, anyway) who share their thoughts and feelings about their horses...what a treat to hear from you!


DeEtte, from Maryland