My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Trail Adventure

I had a trail riding adventure a couple of days ago.

My partner Sandra and I were riding out in the foothills following cattle trails and two tracks when we could find them. There are LOTS of holes out there, everything from a foot across to a few inches. So, you have to stay on a trail and you can only ride out there in the winter when the grass is dead and you can see the ground. Some how we got off of the main cow trail we were following and got onto one that petered out on us.

While we were trying to work our way back to the main trail Chardoney stepped in one of the really big holes and panicked, then jumped out of it. Since I was leaning forward so that I could see the ground to look for holes, I went right off over her shoulder. I landed on my shoulder with my head tucked. I don't think I am hurt too bad, I just have a catch in my back when I breathe too deep, so hopefully it is just a muscle spasm. Waiting for the Aleve to kick in right now.

Chardoney took off and ran over the crest of a hill out of sight. Sandra and I looked at each other - Sandra asked if I was OK and then made her horse stand still. I am so thankful for a riding partner who doesn't panic.
I am thinking that if Char doesn't come back, I am going to have a loooong walk home - we were several miles out. Sure enough though, we hear a high pitched "OMG I am all by myself!" whinny and she came running back to us.
As we were walking along, me leading her while I caught my breath, Chardoney stepped in a smaller hole and got snorty and scared. I have thought about hobble breaking my horses before,  just in case of something like this. Now I think I will find a trainer to help me. If she were hobble broke she wouldn't panic when she feels her legs trapped. It is a good thing for trail horses to know for just such an occasion.

I got back on and we rode the few miles home with no issues, just like nothing happened. Chardoney was calm and cool. I really love this horse!

No comments: