My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Another "Speedy" Update

After I finished the last Speedy update I was looking through my other blog entries and I realized I hadn't shared about another important milestone - Speedy's first trail ride!

One of the things our family loves to do... errr I guess I should say- I love to do with my family, and they usually enjoy once I drag them out there is trail riding.

It happened last weekend, on my birthday. Tom went out on his new horse Foxy and I went out on my Delight. It was also Foxy's first time out with us.

OH - it was Cody's first trail ride ever too! So, lots of firsts that day.

I was a little bit nervous as we have never just thrown a saddle on Speedy and ridden. We always have done some round pen work first. Once Cody was aboard his mount he did some hips over and some suppling exercises. Then we were off!

Here Cody is cleaning Speedy's feet. Not a confo shot I know, but you can see the improvement in his body condition. Speedy has a very thick mane that falls on both sides. That's my Delight in the background.

We rode near the area where I took Spinner for his first "spin" (ha ha couldn't resist). It is BLM land. Mostly desert and rolling hills. Not much for a greenie horse to get too excited about.

That's Tom on Foxy up ahead.

We usually take time to stop and allow the horses to graze on the trail while we drink water and have a snack ourselves - usually beef jerky or a power bar. It was really hot on this day, in the 90's.

Dontcha just love those comfy looking jeans?



Speedy acted like trail riding was old hat. He wasn't spooky at all and was a pretty willing partner for his boy. He needs more fine tuning in his "giving" in general, but for where he is at in his training, he was fabulous!

This isn't the greatest picture, but I really like how lightly my son is holding the reins and how Speedy is bending in response. Cody was asking him to stop grazing.


Here is my steady mount Delight with Speedy and his boy in the background:

Foxy did well too! Tom had a great time riding his well trained horse!


It was a great ride. Speedy sailed through it. Cody had a great time trotting him and keeping up with the "big" horses. He even got the chance to lope a little. What a great little horse!

No comments: