My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Friday, March 6, 2009

Fuzzy Shows

Even though my heart is out on the trail this Spring I have been going to some "fat and fuzzy" horse shows.

I rarely take pictures because it is dark outside and dark in the indoor arena where they are held. A couple of my friends challenged me to actually take some pictures anyways.

So here's your proof girls:

Photobucket

This is right before the adult beginner showmanship class, which we won fair and square inspite of the fact that there was another person in the class. I am pretty sure we only won because Delight stood still-er than the other horse did. Don't tell Delight though... it might go to her head! First place was my favorite candy bar!


Delight won 2nd in the mares halter class - again I am pretty sure it is because she stood stiller than the 3rd place horse!

Here's proof that I really did tack up...

Photobucket

I had her all saddled up and ready to go and then they canceled my class! There weren't many adults at this show riding English.

Photobucket

Delight hollered the almost *whole* time so I got lots of training opportunities in the practice pen doing hips over, shoulders over, back up, sidepass, head down.... wash - rinse - repeat. It takes a lot to keep her little mind busy! Making myself focus on moving specific parts of Delight's body helped me to relax. It helped her too.

I used a bunch of my Julie Goodnight techniques which really helped, especially when I realized I hadn't shown in an English saddle since I was about 16! Yikes! And I hadn't ridden in a regular English saddle in months and months! (What was I thinking??)

So, while I didn't actually ride in a class, I did:
  1. Tack up, ride in the warmup time (think 'mass chaos in a pickle jar'),
  2. Sit for 30 min on my horse who was being a nutcase, and was able to calm both of us down!
  3. I did all this calmly and without panicking and running back to the trailer to cower in terror.
Come on Spring. I am so ready to hit the trails!!

.

3 comments:

Tuff e Nuff said...

Woo Hoo Char! She looks great! And girl - you should know better then to tell people how many other participants were in your class. ;)

BTW - Thanks for the pics.

Char said...

Can you see the smoke coming out of her nostrils? She's a fire breathing dragon I tell ya!!

PaulaQHMax said...

I am so pleased for both you and D, two hurdles in one week you be careful my friend!!

Thanks for the pictures!