My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Countdown to Arabian Sporthorse Nationals

Only 30 more days until a lifetime dream comes true!

Growing up I never ever dreamed I would be able to own an Arabian - or Half Arabian, let alone take one to a show. I poured over Arabian Horse World magazines and even went to a couple of Class A shows. Back then Arabian horses were selling for tens of thousands of dollars. Now, in a month I will be taking My Very Own Half Arabian to Arabian Sporthorse Nationals!

This opportunity has been caused by a perfect storm of  happy opportunities. First (and foremost) was when Lynette chose me as Chardoney's new home. I can't thank her enough for the privilege of having her in my life every day. Next was all of the time and training Terie and her gang put into her breeding and training her. Then there are all of the shows she was taken to by Terie and Lynette which qualified her for this grand Show. There is no way I could have done any of this on my own.

On the home front, Tom has been paying the bills. What a wonderful husband to indulge me in this venture! Lyn has cared for Chardoney as if she were one of her own. She couldn't have a better person looking after her welfare. I am so Thankful for Lyn! Nancy has been training her. How could I do this with out Nancy? And then there are friends who will be showing her for me, friends and family who are supporting me. You get the picture. I am blessed.

This show is such a big deal to me that it had never even even made my bucket list - it is a far grander daydream than that.

I have started keeping Chardoney in the barn and with a light flysheet. She is shedding her summer coat. It is bleached and dry. Hopefully the blanket will cause the oils to come up and make her new winter coat shiny. I also hope her winter coat doesn't come in too quickly... Otherwise, she will need to be clipped - a chore I would rather skip! I have been grooming her, and currying her, trying to bring out that natural shine.

I decided to put shoes on her for this special occasion. My philosophy has been to keep my horses barefoot but, I think for this show I will make an exception. Chardoney will be competing with the best horses in the nation (gulp!). Shoes do make a difference in a horse's gait. And shod feet are what the judges want to see. I want to do everything I can to help her have the best chance against the best. Since my plans after the Nationals don't include showing on any grand scale I will pull them and let her go barefoot again.

Thanks to selling a saddle, saving and a loan from a special friend, all of Chardoney's premiums have been paid. She will be in 4 classes: Sporthorse In Hand both the Open class and Amateur to Handle class; and Sporthorse Under Saddle, both the Open class and Amateur to Ride class. Chardoney is also qualified for a Dressage class, but it was just too expensive to add another class.

I am so excited and nervous, and nervous and excited!

1 comment:

Tuff e Nuff said...

Oh I so wish I could be there to see her win! You deserve this Char! I'm so happy for you!