My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Thursday, March 20, 2008

AOF

AOF is an acronym that some fellow internet posters and I have coined. It stands for "Adult Onset Fear." Mostly we use it to describe the fear that rises up the gut which keeps us from doing the things with horses that as younger people we wouldn't have given a second thought to doing. These things are not necessarily dangerous - well not anymore than the danger which is inherent in working/riding/being around a 1000 lb animal. They include, but are not limited to walking, trotting, and cantering.

I suppose AOF isn't limited just to aging equine addicts. There are lots of things that as a 40 something person I would not try that 10 years ago I would have jumped at the chance to try. For instance, when I turned 30 I really wanted to jump out of an airplane. Now, even the thought of leaving an airworthy vessel and trusting my life to a sheet of nylon just gives me the willeys. Shudder. I have always wanted to get a tattoo. That desire seems to be fading somewhat. I keep telling myself that it is because I can't find a design that I like, but inside I know the truth - it is getting more scary to take the risk. After all, what if my metal allergy kicks in and I wind up with a big sore messy scar?

I feel like I should start a support group. At the beginning of every meeting we could all stand up and say:

"Hi my name is ... (Char) and I suffer from Equine Adult Onset Fear."

Then we could all sit around and commiserate (read: bitch), smoke a bunch of cigarettes and drink coffee. Oh wait, that's already been done by another group. I think cheese and crackers along with some nice chilled wine would do the trick. I have also heard that rum and coke settle the nerves quite nicely as well.

I know that I could easily round up other gals with the same condition. In fact, I'm sure that if I could figure out how to combat this affectation I could write a book, go on tour, and make my millions. Maybe I could even help somebody. You never know, it could happen.

As I go along in this blog I want to share some thoughts about the origins of and battle to overcome AOF in my life.

In the meantime, here is a picture of me trying NOT to be afraid at my first show riding Sam:

I just realized I haven't introduced Sam.... I'll do that soon. And no, I am not pregnant, I just look that way. One of the wicked things AOF whispers into my ear is that I am too fat to ride.

Well, I ain't getting any thinner (or younger) just sitting around, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you look fine! Quit being so critical of yourself, have some whine (and maybe some cheese), then jump out of a plane on your way to get your tattoo. By the time you get all of that done then riding horses will be a breeze!

Char said...

"have some whine"

Thought that was what I WAS doing was whining?? ha ha.

I still think a tattoo is in my future sometime. Probably a horse and probably on an inconspicuous place that is not likely to sag or wrinkle... say, like on the back of my earlobe.