My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spring Magic


When I went out yesterday morning to make sure that everyone had food and water, nearly all of the horses were lying down sunbathing in the warm Spring sunshine. So I decided to join them.

I sat with Speedy and Star, who were lying together. Neither stirred, so I settled in to soak up some sunshine with them. Speedy turned his head to look at me, then turned it back, falling asleep, his lower lip drooping.

Tawshi was lying not to far away, snoring. It’s funny to hear such a dainty horse sawing logs like a lumberjack. Spinner was a few feet away munching on breakfast leftovers.

I leaned my back against Star’s back, sighed and prayed the damp ground wouldn’t soak through the seat of my jeans too quickly.

The Sandhill cranes are back. I can hear them purring as they fly over. Geese join them, flying over in V formation. Sparrows, Redwinged Blackbirds, Robins and Starlings sing. Bees buzz by. The sky is blue and the ground is warm. The air smeels sweet and clean. Time slows down for a while. I wish it would last forever.

I love this time of year. I love my horses.

Resting with the herd doesn’t happen very often. Horses are pretty wary and most of the time they will jump right up when people approach. Once in a while though, Spring Magic happens. I treasure times like these when the horses feel comfortable enough to let me join their herd for a little while.

I make the mistake of trying to take a picture with my cell phone. Star decides to get up and see if what I have in my hand is edible. I stay seated on the ground, hoping she will fall back asleep standing beside me. No such luck. She starts nuzzling my neck and lipping my hair. I shoo her head away and pretend to ignore her. She lifts up the bottom of the back of my shirt and nuzzles my bare skin. I shoo her away again. She lowers her head down so that her left eye is looking right into my face, and then tries to lip my hair again. Silly Filly! She really wants me to get up!

I pretend to ignore her and so she steps over to Speedy and tries her routine with him, lipping his ears and mane. She lowers her head and blows into Speedy’s face. He shakes his head and looks away. Poor Star. No one wants to get up and play!

I did get a picture, but not before Star got up. She has given up on me and is pestering Speedy.

2 comments:

Musicmamaof9 said...

Char, can you send me your blog email addy? I need to set my blog to private and I was to invite you to be one of my readers.

Thanks!
Patrice

Char said...

My email is the same as my personal one...