My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Milestone for Spinner (and Me)


With the addition of Speedy and Spinner this winter I have started 5 horses undersaddle in the last 4 years.

Horse training is something that can make me feel like I can do anything. It makes me feel young, alive and talented. Other times I get so frustrated with my fear and my lack of knowledge that I want to pay someone else to train my horses for me. But, when I stop and remember that I have started that many horses, it makes me realize that no matter how much I struggle, I have made some real progress! I often forget to give myself the credit that I deserve.

Training doesn't come easily for me. It's hard work. I hate boring repetition. I hate working in small areas. I have a lot of fear issues, so a lot of things like working the horses at a canter go a lot more slowly than I would like them to happen. I am very impatient with myself when I can't think of a way to teach something. I get discouraged when the horse doesn't "get it" on the first couple of tries.

The very worst part about training is that I am too hard on myself and I forget to remember important things like,

I have started 5 horses in the past 4 years!

Today I rode Spinner at liberty at a walk and a trot.

I have done nearly all of the preliminary work on this horse. He was mostly untouched when we bought him at the auction last November. With a little help at times from Tom and my friend Lyn , I have worked really hard with him and his brother Speedy. In January I was able to get him saddled and Cherish up on him for a pony ride. This month I have been working with Tom up in the saddle while I guide Spinner from the ground. This weekend Cherish was able to ride him at liberty in the round pen.

So, I decided to ride Spinner and enjoy for myself all of the hard work I have put into his training. It was great fun! Now that I have him going well without guidance from someone in the middle of the round pen I will be able to ride him myself more often.

It is a milestone in his training, one I need to remember for the next time training seems hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like the horses are teaching you just as much as you are teaching them. ;)

Char said...

Yep! Whether I like it or not I get taught a lesson almost every time I try to train them! I am the one who gets trained instead.