My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Squishing Speedy and Carousel Rides


Midway carousel at Cedar Point, Sandusky Ohio


I have been riding Speedy... I know he thinks I am squishing him. It's rather fun training a horse that you actually outweigh. Nah... just kidding... I don't out weigh him... well... not by toooo much!

When I am riding him I feel like I am riding a carousel horse, except without the up and down, oh and without the wonderful calliope music. Usually at the indoor arena there is Country music in the air.



I think this carousel is in Europe

Speedy is so little and narrow, but so full of life and sparkle. I know it wouldn't do to take him on and extended ride, but for our short training rides he carries me with ease. He is a strong lil' guy!

As a kid, I loved the carousel at Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio because it had REAL horse tails. It was located at right at the entrance of the park and you could hear it's happy calliope music before you even made it through the entrance gates. I always rode it the first thing and the last thing of the day.

Can you see the real horse tail?

It was always my favorite carousel because it had REAL horse tails. I always raced to find the pony with the longest tail. When the music started and my magical horse began jumping up and down I would throw my head back and close my eyes.

I would give a lot of money for a picture of me on this carousel as a little girl

(These pictures and a link to information about the Midway Carousel at Cedar Point can be found HERE )

I even found a short vid that someone posted on YouTube of this ride:


No, I don't know any of these people!


When I was an even littler kid, I remember going to the Huron County fair and literally hyperventilating at the thought of riding the real ponies around and around in the little circle. I tried to memorize the feel of sway as I rode, and the sound of the squeaky leather saddle. I remember smelling the smell of the horse barns, and feeling the horses noses. I always tried to remember some of the horses names so that I could pick a "favorite" for when I had a horse of my own someday.

Here I am today on my carousel pony. Only a cell phone photo to share with you. It was a great ride. His neck reining is coming right along and I got a couple of really good stops on him today. He is flexing well side to side, but not at all vertically through his jaw and throatlatch. I am sure Cody never has asked him for that kind of give, I don't think he even knows how to ask. So we'll work on it. One thing at a time.

I am so thankful to have horses in my life and to have had the opportunity to rehab Speedy and Spinner. I feel like I am richer for the experience. I really hope that Speedy's dream kid shows up soon. I would love to see him shine in the show ring and on the trail again this summer.

2 comments:

Tuff e Nuff said...

Where is the bar on his back for you to hold onto? Maybe if you had one of those your AOF about loping would go away. :)

Char said...

Ha Ha Ha! Good one! You know I could paint him an play calliope music when I ride... hmmmm