My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Breakthrough!

On Friday I had a wonderful breakthrough!

I cantered Tacki both directions in the indoor arena. I was a little scared, but not uncontrollably so. I know I will be able to canter her whenever I want to now. I can't wait to canter her again! What a wonderful feeling to have after suffering years of fear.

Most of Tacki's training has been at the walk and trot. I have cantered her up hills, and a teeny bit out on the trail. He original trainer has started her in a canter, but Tacki is still green and unbalanced.

Since Tacki has had only a little bit of canter work my ride was all head up and hollow back, me with elbows flying at first. I was worried that I was getting in her way up front so I pretty much dropped the reins and tried to steer with my legs a la Clinton Anderson's passenger lesson. I wanted to make sure I didn't get in the way of her "forward". It was really hard to trust her, as she is so green. But we did it!

AOF, Take that!

No comments: