My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Catching Up - Part Three


I also need to share a bit of a speed bump that I had last week.

I was trying for my second canter last week on Tacki and I fell off.

It was the first time for a "real" fall for me in 5 years or so. (I have fallen off bareback a couple of times just fooling around). I was stiff for a couple of days, but I survived.

As I was cantering Tacki she ducked her shoulder to the inside. I over compensated and it just got worse from there. I finally decided to bail off but by then it was too late, I already was "falling with style" as Woody said to Buzz Lightyear.


It was NOT Tacki's fault. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body and didn't buck, I just lost control of her shoulder wasn't able to think fast enough to fix it. I hate it so much that I "grab" when I get scared... it is just the opposite of what I need to do.

What's ironic is that my last fall 5 years ago was nearly the exact same event. Delight ducked her shoulder ( out that time) and I fell off hard like a sack of potatoes. Delight was definitely being dishonest. I was really lucky. I wasn't wearing a helmet and I did hit my head. I also hurt my back badly that time.

The difference this time is that I knew what was happening even as it was happening, I just couldn't get my body to work right fast enough. The first time I fell it took me YEARS before I understood what happened.

So I guess I need to work some more on shoulder control, eh?

I did get back on and cantered both directions. Tacki is a very forgiving mare. She really is a wonderful horse.

One of the best things that came out of this is that my AOF did not kick in this time. I think I must really be making some progress against that Monster!

AOF - Nada. Me - Three Million!

.

No comments: