My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 Bucket List

I posted this challenge on my Facebook page today. I have edited it to add a few more of my "horsey" dreams here for my equine minded readers. My challenge is the same here, make a list and I will send it back to you in 6 months.


I want to challenge you, my friends and family, to make a few sort of New Year's un- resolutions.

This morning I was writing in my oft neglected gratitude journal. After writing my few things I am thankful for my mind turned to the second half of the page where I record random dreams for the future. Things I have written in that section over the months have included such grandiose things as buying a house to incidental things like having a baby goat named Lovely. I believe that giving myself permission to sit and dream for a few minutes each day and then reading back over the months of the things my childlike heart has dreamed about has been the most a healing and freeing practice that I have endeavored to do in 2010. My only regret is that I did not sit down more often and record these dreams more often than I did.

Ahh, but had I practiced more "discipline" then perhaps I would have lost some of the freedom of that exercise, thereby defeating it's purpose!

Anyway, back to this morning. Although I would love to share with you the journey of a Gratitude/Dream journal and to encourage you to embark on it with me, my challenge for you is much simpler.

It occurred to me this morning to make a list of dreams and desires for this year, a sort of Mini Bucket List. Some of the things on my list included:

1) Ride Star in her first endurance ride (25-30 miles)

2) Try a 50 miler on Delight

3) Try a Dressage test, maybe on Sam?

4) Become a member of AERC, PNER, AHA, and MHA and start collecting points for my endurance rides

5) More LD's on Takima

6) Canter at will on Sam, Tacki, Star and Shuga

7) Learn to make goat milk soap

8) Begin trying out a new recipes once a month or so.

I am challenging you all to make a short list like mine. If you make a list and send it back to me I will send it back to you in 6 months or so and you can be inspired by the things you have checked off, and/or be inspired to try for some more things on your list. Your list can be as long or as short as you like. I will put it on my calendar so I can remember to send them all back.

The things on this list are NOT resolutions nor are they self-improvement goals. They are NOT rules to live by in 2011 nor even positive changes we want to make. Resolutions and goals and changes are all good, even if they difficult to keep through a whole year. What I am asking for ARE dreams and endeavors that unless life makes a dramatic change (as it is wont to do!), that can be at least "tried on for size". Think, "Something new."

" I want to lose 20 lbs" does not fit in this list. "I would like to try out an aerobics class." or "I want to check out the Wii fit program on my son's Wii." do fit... kinda. However, I challenge you to think bigger than this. Do you have anything you would like to learn to do, but have never made the time; a new recipe, a craft, an adventure? What about trying a different variety of flower in your garden or learning a new sport? What about a drive to visit a place you have always wanted to go to but just haven't ever made time to do it. Think outside your box, I dare you!

Remember, no resolutions allowed, those are for another list.

Take a few minutes to dream. It's good for you!

Looking forward to a dream filled 2011,

Char



No comments: