My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Sunday, February 3, 2008

The One I missed


Since I am still introducing the horses in my life I want to introduce a mare by the name of Noelle. I call her Noelle, because it was almost Christmas when I met her. She didn't have a barn name given to her by the breeder that I know of. She was an American Blazer Horse and part of the same so called "production sale" that Speedy and Spinner came from. Her registered name was "Honks Duces" [sic]. She was an aged broodmare. Seems like I remember she was about 17 years old. She was very thin, and of course untrained and unbroke to ride.

Before the sale I went to the breeder's ranch two times. Both times I remember this mare because she was so friendly, coming out of the herd of 200+ horses to get our attention and to be petted.

At the auction preview, when we were walking around the herds of horses looking for the two we would take home, once again she followed us around begging for attention. I loved on her and prayed she would find a family at the auction the next day. She really wanted a family.

Speedy and Spinner went to the auction block during the first couple of hours. We were surprised and taken aback at how quickly it happened. We were expecting to be at the auction all day. I didn't get to see any of the mares go through, let alone Noelle. Everything just happened too fast.

Two days after the auction, when the dust had settled at our place, I couldn't get her off of my mind. So I tried to track her down. I called a couple of people at the American Blazer Horse Association, and later called the killer buyer himself. He bought 60 horses, and while he told me a big fat lie about where they all went, I am pretty sure he bought Noelle. He said he shipped them back east for training - yeah right!

I missed her.

One of these days I am going to blog my feelings about horse slaughter and why I support it, but for today I just want to remember Noelle.

I regret that I wasn't able to save her. I regret that she was used up and thrown away.

RIP Noelle.

No comments: