My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Thursday, February 28, 2008

The pigs are outside



The weather here is warming up and the piglets are growing up.

We have taken the door off of the shed and now the pig family has free roam of the pen. Charlotte plows big trenches and lies in them on her belly. I think she is glad for the relief from the vigorous nursing of her piglets.

The little piglets scamper around and play like puppies. I don't know why I am surprised that they play... every other animal baby plays. You can see one of the piglets in the background of this picture ready to bite the piglet right behind her.

Each lil piggie has a name now. Phoebe is the only girl. Then there's Porky, Bazooka, Dr. McCoy (aka Bones, or Coy), Spot, Elvis, Wilbur, Big Head, Ross, and Kenny.

Bones,Wilbur, Ross and Kenny are all already sold to another 4H family who will pick them up in about 3 weeks. Their sale will go a long way toward buying feed for the ones my kids keep for their own 4H market project.

Another interesting thing I have learned about pigs- They love to dig in the dirt and wallow, but they keep all of their pee and poo in one spot. They like to be dirty, but if they have a choice they won't wallow in their waste. Cool.

No comments: