My Partner is Delight

My Partner is Delight
Heading into the great unknown

Thursday, February 21, 2008

A wonderful ride


I had an amazing time with my horse today. I went to an indoor arena with a friend and her horse.

When my friend arrived to pick us up Delight hopped right into the trailer all by herself. She really loves to go places. When it is time to unload all I have to do is grab her tail and guide her out.

When we got to the arena, no one else was there, so we turned both of the horses loose. Her horse Sam is an Arabian and Delight is a Morgan. They were magnificent to watch, trotting around strutting their stuff, Delight in her Morgany way and Sam in his Arabian way.

It takes your breath away really, to see them cut loose like that.

When I rode Delight I didn't have a training plan in mind. Sometimes I get fixated on a training goal and miss out on the pure pleasure of riding.

I mounted up and I could tell that Delight really wanted to Go. So I decided to let her pick the pace and the direction. I let the reins hang loose and used them to guide her lightly only when she drifted too close to Sam.

Soon we were trotting faster and faster. Then we loped and came close to a gallop but I settled down into the saddle and let Delight know that galloping was too fast for my comfort. She slowed slightly and we loped all around the arena, everywhere she had a whim to go.

It's amazing how relaxed you can be when you just let go and let the horse be the guide.

Soon we were trotting and then loping again. I was surprised at how long Delight went before she finally slowed.

Finally she slowed to a walk and then stopped in the very center of the arena. She let out a big sigh, dropped her head and licked her lips. She was breathing pretty hard, but I could tell that she was relaxed. I was relaxed too, and exhilarated. I got off and lead her around until we both caught our breath.

It was a wonderful ride, letting her choose what we did today.

I want to do it again.

No comments: